The term “outfitting” arrived in the American Colonies in the 1600s derived from “The act of fitting out for an expedition.” The activity referred to outfitting a ship for trade or a caravan for exploration into unknown areas.
By 1795 the term “depot” became known as a warehouse for receiving goods for storage or transfer, a place of deposit. The military referred to their “fort stores” as depots for goods and arms as the country expanded West. In the 1800s, the term evolved, referring to railway stations for the receipt and transfer of freight.
Cave Creek’s early settlers arrived in 1870 as farmers and ranchers protected by soldiers stationed at Fort McDowell. In 1883 prospectors discovered gold in Cave Creek. As a result, outfitters came to test their luck and stock up on supplies as they traveled to California’s goldfields.
Today, with a nod to our settlement history, Outfit the District @ the Teacher Depot was founded under the Cave Creek Unified Education Foundation. Our mission is to partner with local businesses; to supply needed, donated items to the Cave Creek Unified School District for teachers’ needs as part of their efforts to educate our area’s children.